Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth, Oh my!

So I just realized that I shared that Kare was sick, but I never updated.

She ran a pretty high fever on Sunday night, woke up at 3 screaming and didn't go back to sleep until about 6:30, slept till 7:00 and then was done.  When she woke up her temp was at 99, so I thought she was on the mend.  She didn't seem to be herself and wasn't eating, but her fever was gone so I wasn't too worried about it.  On Monday night she went to bed at 7, woke up screaming at 10 and didn't go back to sleep or stop screaming really at all.  It was awful.  I couldn't decide what was wrong with her because her fever was gone, but she was inconsolable.  I honestly thought that she just didn't want to be alone.  What a mean mom I am to doubt that she was in pain.

We went to the early morning sick clinic at the ped. office on Tuesday morning.  By that time she was in a pretty good mood, wouldn't eat anything, but played just fine.  I had decided that either she suddenly became scared of the dark or she had an ear infection.  The dr. looked at her ears and proclaimed that they were perfect.  At that point my stomach sank because I was sure she was playing us.  Then she went to look at her throat.  K fought opening her mouth and when the dr. finally got the stick in there to look at her throat the dr. said, "Poor Baby! It is hand, foot, and mouth."  Which I automatically associated with hoof and mouth, and was grossed out.  There is actually no association.  Thank goodness!  It basically meant she had blisters on her hands (she only had one, so I didn't notice), feet (only two, again, didn't notice because they were tiny) and mouth (apparently she had a lot in her mouth and throat, poor thing, but I didn't see because I couldn't get her to open her mouth).  We were quarantined in our house all week, but after Tuesday, she didn't seem to feel as bad.

Baby's first virus has come and gone.  Praise the Lord it is gone!  On Friday I sanitized our entire house, and this week we have reveled in our freedom to go about in public.

No comments: