Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thanksgiving

It's November! My favorite month! I love November because its fall, my birthday, and the beginning of the holiday season. I love all of the excitement and family time and food. I love the excuse to start thinking about those we love and what we would like to give them. I LOVE it! However, I can get so caught up in the activities and people that it is easy to overlook the reason for the holidays.

I will spend the month of November being thankful. Every day during this month I will post one thing I'm thankful for. It may be just one sentence or a whole story, or just a picture, but I want to make sure and align my heart to thankfulness. I usually don't do these kinds of things because they can be cheesy, but sometimes its really good to put aside your pride and just embrace it, so i will.

November 1--Grace

My day started with me receiving the news that a former acquaintance has been found in very serious, very hurtful sin, and I have spent the rest of the day thinking about it. Actually as I write this that person is on the news leaving the courthouse where they were for a hearing. Interestingly enough, my initial reaction wasn't outrage; it was more of a deep sadness. I hurt because he has been hiding this for a very long time. I'm thankful that it came out, because in the light, in the truth, comes healing. I pray that he has people around him that are walking through this with him; holding him accountable for his actions and calling him to repentance.

I spent some time this afternoon reading all of the articles on the internet about it--I know, bad habit, but I just can't help myself--and I can't get over all of the reactions. The reality of the situation is that not but for the grace of God any of us could be in a similar predicament. And really, really, there isn't a big difference between his sin and my own sin of discontentment or selfishness. All say that God is not enough. That is the root of all sin isn't it? Really not believing that God is where we will find true peace and contentment.

So today I have been reminded of the ugliness of my sin, and today, I am thankful for grace. That even though I am a mess, God sent his perfect Son so that I can have a relationship with Him. Grace...so hard to comprehend...so good!

No comments: